OTT Pouch – The Story
OTT Pouch was founded in 2005 with the aim of addressing a noticeable gap in the UK market for storage solutions in schools.
The principle behind the idea was to create robust classroom chair storage which would reduce pupil movement and disruption in lesson times by keeping all day books, stationery and drinks bottles to hand throughout the day.
OTT Pouch commissioned a sample run of 500 units in 2006 and carried tests out with Bureau Veritas to ensure the filled weight would not affect the stability of the chairs. Samples were sent to schools for a trial period of 4-6 weeks to see how the product performed in the classroom, and for valuable feedback from teachers and pupils.
The results were very encouraging; the OTT Pouch had made a difference to teacher control and discipline, increased personal storage, reduced breakages, and created neat and tidy work tables.
OTT Pouch has subsequently been supplying to KS1 & KS2 schools throughout the U.K. since 2007. It is making a positive impact on the teaching methods and classroom systems currently used.
The OTT Pouch has grown from strength to strength since 2007, winning awards along the way and is now an essential piece of equipment for hundreds of schools across the country. The OTT Pouch has survived the test of time and is still the only classroom chair pouch in the UK which boasts three sizes and a variety of colours.
Our school storage bag – (Over the top) Pouch, is made from hard wearing polyester backed fabric, using extra strength elastic, and double stitching, to enhance the product quality. It is designed to fit securely over the rear of school chairs; the uniquely designed side elastic strips grip the sides of the chair when the pouch is filled and laden. Its unique Satchel design allows for maximum storage width.
The pouch has undergone a rearwards stability test under BS EN 1729-2:2006 on size mark 2, 4 and 5 chairs with the pouch loaded at 2.5Kg, and 3Kg respectively, the results have stated “There was no overturning” This guidance weight is stamped on every pouch.
The only way we would sell our storage pouch into schools was to develop two sizes-one single design did not fit all of KS1 & KS2 (age range 4-11) chairs securely when filled.
OTT Pouch Environmental Policy
Over The Top (OTT) Pouch: www.ott-pouch.com is a school bag that can be unfolded and placed over the back of a chair providing personal storage for each pupil. Pop the pouch on the chair and give them easy, accessible ‘My Space’ for their classroom items right where they are seated. The OTT Pouch provides separate pockets for their daily Books, Stationery, Calculator and a designated net pocket for drinks containers, so pupils can remain hydrated throughout the day without leaving their chair or disrupting the class.
To ensure effective environmental management, the OTT Pouch shall ensure environmental considerations are integrated into all our business processes and decisions to achieve our fundamental commitments to:
- Remain aware of; and as a minimum comply with all applicable environmental legislation, regulations and other requirements to which we subscribe.
- Prevent pollution at source through engineered controls and workforce awareness.
- Continually improve environmental performance and management through achieving annual environmental objectives.
- To achieve our environmental commitments and when setting environmental objectives, the OTT
- Pouch takes account of developments within the business, changes in legislation and technology. Specifically the OTT Pouch shall:
- Monitor our significant environmental impacts such as consumption of fossil fuels and calculate our annual carbon footprint: http://www.carbontrust.co.uk/solutions/CarbonFootprinting/carbonfootprintindicator.htm
Minimise transport mileage and plan essential journeys using route planning software.
- Purchase low environmental impact supplies and recycled materials where applicable and use subcontractors with proven environmental credentials.
- Integrate environmental considerations and management into all business processes, decisions and purchases, ensuring activities identify and control transport, energy consumption and waste management.
- This includes requesting copies of all existing and potential suppliers’ environmental policy before making purchasing decisions.
- Develop the OTT Pouch made from readily biodegradable materials.
- Operate proactive maintenance and a switch off policy of all electrical and electronic equipment when they are not being used.
- Minimise waste at source through planning our activities, ensure remaining waste is reused then recycled where practical and controlled in line with our duty of care responsibilities.
- Ensure adequate resources are made available to implement this policy in full, review our environmental management annually or in the event of significant change to the business or environmental legislation.
OTT Pouch Equality and Diversity Policy
The purpose of this policy is twofold. The first purpose is to provide fair access and equality to all in employment matters, irrespective of their gender, race, ethnic origin, disability, age, nationality, national origin, sexuality, religion or belief, marital status and social class. The second purpose is to make our business accessible and welcoming to all our customers and those who use our products, irrespective of the same matters. We oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
We will review this policy as necessary, and will comply with all relevant legislation. OTT Pouch and our employees.
All employees, whether part time, full time or temporary, will be treated fairly and equally.
Selection for employment, promotion, training or any other benefit will be on the basis of aptitude and ability.
All employees will be helped and encouraged to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the workforce will be fully utilised to maximise the efficiency of the organisation.
OTT Pouch, our customers, and our product users.
The company, and its staff, will not discriminate or disadvantage any customer on the basis of any of the matters mentioned in the first paragraph of this policy.
All our customers will be treated with dignity and respect. Staff will be familiar with, and will fully comply with the company’s standards and expectations regarding workplace behaviour, and will treat all customers fairly and with respect.
- Every employee is entitled to a working environment which promotes dignity and respect to all. No form of intimidation, bullying or harassment will be tolerated. There is a clear expectation that all employees will treat each other with dignity and respect.
- The commitment to diversity and equality in the workplace is good management practice and makes sound business sense.
- Breaches of our diversity and equality policy will be regarded as misconduct and could lead to disciplinary proceedings.
- The policy will be monitored and reviewed annually.
- This policy was originally developed and introduced in July 2010. Each employee is advised on appointment and is aware of our expectations and of the company’s commitment to these standards. This policy appears on our website as an indication of our commitment to our customers, our clients and our staff.